Staying Calm in the Midst of Stress & Chaos
March 19, 2020
Stress and Chaos!
Knowing how to stay calm is a very important skill. However, this skill tends to deteriorate under stressful or distracting conditions.Staying calm under extreme pressure is much more challenging than staying calm under moderate conditions.
For example, hitting a golf balls with your friends is relatively easy. But add the stress of 5,000 spectators and some TV cameras and see how well you do.
Imagine being calm and peaceful at all times. How would your life change?A greater ability to manage ones emotions is invaluable!
Follow these 9 tips and keep calm under stress and pressure…
1. Start your day being calm and make every effort to stay that way. A calming morning ritual, performed religiously, will get your mind and body in the proper state. Then the only real task is staying that way throughout the day. A good morning often results in a good day, just like a good Monday often results in a good week.
2. Monitor yourself. Continuously monitor your reactions to stressful events. How do you feel physically? What thoughts do you have? Do you use self-talk? Notice everything that has changed. Eventually you will notice how your body reacts to stress.
3. Bring yourself back to your calm state. If your self-talk has become negative, take control and stop it. Turn it around and make it positive. If your heart is beating faster, take slow, deep breaths and relax. This is a great way to relieve built up stress. Think positive thoughts and focus on solutions. Take action and avoid worrying.
4. Remember that it’s not all about you. Avoid the stress of assuming that a negative event says anything about you.If someone gets snippy with you at work, it might just be a symptom of trouble at home. People do things for lots of reasons that don’t involve you. Its common to take things personally, but its often inaccurate.
5. Find some healthy coping habits. Many of us shop, drink, or eat when were stressed. Thats a good way to end up poor, drunk, and overweight, all of which can add their own stress. Develop some new habits that are actually good for you. Yoga, meditation, and exercise are just a few suggestions.
Continue reading for four more additional ways to stay calm in the midst of stress and chaos…
6. Eliminate clutter from your environment. This includes all types of clutter, including excessive noise and other distractions. Turn off your social media and email notifications. Keep your work areas clear of clutter. You’ll feel calmer and less stressed.
7. Get enough sleep. Its much easier to manage stress and remain calm when you’ve had 7 hours of sleep rather than only 4. Sleep helps to reduce the stress in your mind and body. Being well-rested also allows you to handle stressful situations better. Even if you’re super busy, you’ll usually get more done if you maintain your normal sleep schedule.
8. Ask yourself questions. Questions can determine our focus and influence our actions. Is this really going to make a difference? Does it matter? Is the other person overreacting? Am I over reacting? Am I stressed about the past, present, or future?The past is over, and the future hasn’t arrived yet, so focus on the present. What can I do to turn this situation around? Is there an outcome that will make everyone happy?
9. Take a break. If you’re unable to remain calm, give yourself a few minutes to regroup. Additionally, some time alone can have positive results. Staying calm and stress free in challenging situations can be difficult, but its a learnable skill. Start with less stressful situations and test your ability to stay cool, calm, and collected. In time, nothing will be able to get under your skin.
ALWAYS RISING ABOVE!
XOXOX Dr. Twanna
P.S. Negative thinking getting in the way of your success? Click to read more about “7 Ways to Overcome Negative Thinking and Get on the Path to Success“.
Free Imposter Syndrome Tool Kit!👇🏾👇🏾👇🏾👇🏾👇🏾👇🏾👇🏾👇🏾👇🏾 Get yours today.