Theres not a lot to fear if youre living in a first-world country. Were free of wars, famine, plagues, animals that eat us, and dictators. However, fear is part of the human condition. Well always find something to be fearful about.
The fear of failure is a common fear that most people have experienced.We dont like to appear inadequate in front of others.
Unfortunately, if youre unwilling to risk failure, your life is going to be very limited. Learning to deal with the fear of failure is a worthy goal. Most people avoid situations where they might fail. That just means youll have less competition if you can get over your fear.
Take advantage of these strategies and refuse to allow the fear of failure to limit your life:
- Define your fear.What exactly are you afraid of? Are you worried about being laughed at by your peers? Would you feel bad about yourself if you failed? Are you worried that youll never be successful? Define your fear.
- Redefine failure.What is failure to you? Is it an inescapable and permanent result? Is it a sign that youre incapable or inadequate?
A healthier definition of failure is that its just an undesired result.You took a guess and you were wrong. You can learn from that result and do better on your next attempt. Thats not so bad.
Give your brain more images of success than of failure. In time, youll grow to expect to be successful.
Develop a strategy for dealing with the worst possible outcome.Once youre certain you can handle the worst, theres nothing left to worry about.
Think back to your high school days. Remember that boy or girl you were too afraid to speak to? How do you feel about that now? You know that youd muster up the courage if you could do it again.
We regret the things we dont do more than the things we do.
- Visualize success.Rather than imagining yourself failing, imagine yourself being successful. Take five minutes a few times each day and imagine yourself succeeding. Notice how great it feels and focus on that feeling.
- Consider the worst-case scenario.What is the worst that can happen? Can you handle it? Of course, you can.
- Recall your past failures.Youve overcome numerous failures. How many times did you fail while learning to walk? To talk? And yet here you are. You survived. We fail in small ways each day and the sun still rises the next day. The world will go on.
- Become comfortable with discomfort.The thought of failure is uncomfortable, but that doesnt mean you have to allow it to influence your actions. The uncomfortable sensations of any negative emotions are just suggestions.Youre free to choose how youre going to respond.
- Start small.If youre too uncomfortable to move forward with your plans, just start small. Take a small action and notice that youre still okay. Tomorrow you can take a slightly bigger step. In no time at all, youll be taking massive action toward your goals.
- Consider what will happen if you allow your fear to stop you.Imagine yourself 20 years from now having not taken this risk. How will you feel about that? Youll almost certainly regret it.
How much has the fear of failure impacted your life? Its okay to be afraid, but its a little silly if you have a good understanding of failure.
Whats not okay is to allow your fear of failure to keep you out of the game.Your life is passing by. Refuse to allow fear to get in your way. You only have one life to live.
Always Rising Above!
P.S. Why do we fear change?Click this linkand find additional information on the5 Reasons We Fear Change.
Stop living your fear and anxiety and start living your dreams instead!
Sign up now for acomplimentary consultationwith me.Click herefor the link to mycalendar. Schedule a session thats convenient for you. Lets lay out a step by step plan for your successful 2020.
The post Dont Let the Fear of Failure Limit Your Life appeared first on Twanna Carter.
+ show Comments
- Hide Comments
add a comment